Sep 20, 2011

Chocolate Nutella Cupcake with Caramel Frosting Filling

I made cupcakes the other day for a neighborhood party and wanted to experiment, I decided on making a chocolate cupcake with a filling, I noticed that we had a bunch of Nutella that needed to be used up soon and decided to try making a Nutella chocolate frosting to top the cake, it was SO yummy! Sam helped me put the pearls on and mix the ingredients it was lots of fun to do together!
The Nutella made the frosting a little grainy but it still tasted really good, I just made a basic butter cream frosting added 1/2 cup Nutella before adding the milk and added just the right enough amount of milk to make it smooth, I did add a little cocoa powder to make it more chocolaty.
For the cake I just used a chocolate cake mix, and added cocoa and sugar because it was really bland. Now the filling is the best part of this cupcake, but sadly I didn't get any pictures of it! I made a creamy caramel frosting, the caramel sauce made by this recipe is amazing, and once you add the powder sugar it is even more amazing. It was really hard to throw away the extra (the recipe made lots more than I needed) but after a few naughty spoonfuls I tossed the rest.
You can follow the recipe here I followed it all except I let it boil a little over the 2 min, a reviewer said it would give it a stronger caramel flavor and it tasted great so I would recommend giving it another minute just don't let it burn!
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Shari Brooks said...

love this recipe because of the Nutella. We were on a huge nutella kick in the fall and I decided to make many different variations of homemade nutella. It was a blast. glad I stopped over from Jam Hands