Jun 24, 2011

Let Them Eat Cake!

Last week I taught the sisters in my ward how to work with fondant for our weekly meeting. It turned out to be a really fun class with a good turn out.
I showed them how to trim the cake, make a dam to keep the filling from spilling out, and how to do a crumb coat. I have taught a class like this before and somehow I made the same mistake of not taking my frosting out of the refrigerator early enough to let it warm up so it was a little hard to use at first but once I got it going it worked out great.
Here are the ladies, more showed up as the demonstration went on, I didn't get a count but I felt like it was a good group of ladies.
My mom was a great help, you can see her sitting with Colten to my left, Sam was in the nursery playing with the big kids, it was nice to know I didn't need to worry about the boys while I worked.
Here I am showing them how to roll out the fondant and cover the cake, I was working fast and talking as I went so it didn't turn out as smooth as normal but it was good enough for a quick cake.
After I finished my presentation the sisters were given the chance to ask questions, taste the fondant, and decorate a cupcake how ever they wanted using my icing, fondant and tools.
Even some of the kids got in on the fun, we had lots of beautiful cupcakes and lots of fun!
Below is the handout I made with my Fondant recipe and butter cream recipe.

Marshmallow Fondant

1 comment:

Jenn Erickson said...

What a treat to meet a fellow cake artist as well! I'm so glad that the blog hop brought me your way!

Kindred spirit,
Jenn/Rook No. 17